Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Sound of Silence


Our little Lucy Girl is gone.

She had developed lymphoma and it began to take her quickly over the last month. We allowed her to pass away peacefully last night, and we were by her side until the very end.

Lucy was an incredible presence in our lives. She carved out a piece of our souls and that's where she lived. She completely owned us. She had a little spark about her that always brought a smile to our faces whenever she was around. She was full of little quirks (like stealing my blush brushes and hiding them under pillows) and was always so sweet and charming. And she always knew when we needed her.

There was a time about three years ago when I was not yet diagnosed with my MS, and nobody knew what was going on. Vertigo had hit and I spent 8 straight hours on the bathroom floor, puking my guts out. I was miserable and scared. Lucy did not leave my side. She layed on the floor with me and I could feel her pawing at my arm while I puked, as if in comfort and worry.

Lucy also had a very strong connection to Nick. She had complete possession of his heart and her happiest place was wherever he was. She'd spend a lot of time with him in the computer room, lounging on the back of the chair or in his lap. She also loved to sprawl across his desk, usually taking up the entire mouse pad or otherwise hindering his room to work. But he never minded.


Lucy rarely slept on the bed while we were in it (I think we moved around too much for her liking), but when she did she was pressed up tightly against Nick. After Nick came home from his knee surgery, she slept with him every night for the first few weeks.

Lucy had a series of nicknames over the years. Lucy somehow changed into Lucy La La. Then I started calling her Lucy McGuilicutty (like from the I Love Lucy show). Sometimes Nick would come home and call out "Lucy, I'm home" in the Ricky Ricardo accent. Then somehow Lucy McGuilicutty changed into Magilla Gorilla (that old Hannah Barbara caratoon). The Gorilla Girl. Then Gorilla Snacks or sometimes just Snacks for short (honestly, I don't know how snacks got involved). But the one that always stuck, and will be forever and always, is Lucy Girl.


Lucy has left a giant hole in our hearts. The sound of her not being here is so very loud. And everywhere we look we see where she used to lay in sunbeams or her favorite spot to look out the window or where she clawed up the carpet on the corner of the stairs.

There are three food dishes still. Even though it kills me to look at them, I'm not yet ready to put one away.


We love you, Lucy. We will miss your spark and your sass and your sweet little touch. And while our hearts ache, we are comforted that you are at peace and are no longer suffering. Thank you for all that you gave us.







3 comments:

Willowkist said...

There are no words I can say, but you've captured her essence so wonderfully in your post.
She will be missed.

Bekah said...

Such beautiful words. I am sorry about your loss.

Kate Rosenberg said...

What a lovely tribute to a sweet creature. I am always moved by the way that animals creep into our human hearts. It's amazing-- they give so much. Thinking of you while you mourn her loss.
xoxoxo
kate