Thursday, October 8, 2009

One Crazy Summer

I've been meaning to write about my Summer...well, all Summer! But it was a hectic Summer indeed and every time I intended to sit down and write, something else came up. So even though we're already well into Fall, let's take a look back at the Summer of 2009...

In March I participated in this years MS Walk, my first time since getting diagnosed with the disease in 2007. My amazing friends and family joined me in fund raising for this worthy cause and together we raised nearly $400! My brother-in-law, who is quite the talented artist, also designed t-shirts for our team. The day of the walk was chilly and brisk, but we all bundled up and had a really great time walking through the streets of downtown Salt Lake. Even the Empire came out to support our cause! The three-mile walk was more of a physical challenge for me than I expected, but I was determined to finish. And I did. But I couldn't have done any of it without the support of my friends and family. Can't thank you guys enough!



July welcomed a new member of our family, Penny! She was an unexpected addition, but her unique spark and pizazz has filled our home with love and laughter, and a bit of chaos....there is never a dull moment with Penny around. But we couldn't picture our lives without her.

July also saw the return of Tori Amos to Salt Lake City to promote her latest album. As passionate devotees of Tori's music, my best friend Willow and I resurrected our tradition of attending the meet and greet as well as the show at Abravanell Hall. It was another one for the scrapbooks! We got to meet Tori again and her performance was nothing short of electrifying. I actually took the time to post some photos and details about this one because, well, it was so damn awesome.

September brought with it mine and Nick's 8th wedding anniversary. Eight years...I have no idea where the time has gone. I love this man more and more each day. He is my soul mate and we are so blessed to be able to share our lives together. We celebrated by having a lovely dinner at Bomby house restaurant. Indian food is amongst our favorite cuisines and the Bombay House is one of the best in Salt Lake. After dinner, we attended a performance by our favorite comedian, Jim Gaffigan, at Kingsbury Hall. He did not disappoint and we were laughing until we could barely breathe. Sharing great food, good conversation and lots of laughter...I can't think of a better way to celebrate our life together.

September also saw the return of the Utah State Fair. I enjoyed amazing luck last year when one of my photos took 4th place in the amateur category of the photography exhibit and was looking forward to another opportunity to submit some of my photos. I was honestly not expecting a win this year, but was looking forward to repeating the experience. As predicted, I didn't place. But I thoroughly enjoyed viewing the work of some amazing local photographers. I also took time this year to view some of the other competitive exhibits, including the culinary and stitching categories, and was quite enamored with what I saw. I plan to submit pieces into these two categories next year, as well as photography.


The last week of September, my dear friend Mindy moved to North Carolina. This is a good move for her, and I can't wait to hear about all her new adventures in this new chapter of her life. I knew I would miss her, but I don't think I realized how much I would miss her until she was gone. We still stay in touch, of course...she is only a phone call away. And honestly, with the goings on of these last few weeks, I probably wouldn't have even seen her anyway. But there is something about knowing that she is not here, and that I can no longer just drive over to her house or meet up for an impromptu coffee that has just left a little bit of a void. I guess 12 years of friendship will do that. Still, I am happy that she is following this path. And now I have an excuse to visit North Carolina!

This Summer also saw a bit of a decline in my health. Some new symptoms appeared as well as the exacerbation of some old ones. Heat is a known aggravator of Multiple Sclerosis, and I am hoping this rough spell was a result of the Summer temperatures and not an indication that I am progressing. I have noticed some improvement with the cooler temperatures, but a few of the new symptoms seem to be lingering and I am still struggling with some day to day activities.

I confess myself disappointed, as this onslaught of symptoms spoiled my plans for all my Summertime baking and crafting and outdoor excursions. I also took significantly fewer photos than I normally do and I am disappointed that I missed out on capturing some moments. But, such is life on the roller coaster ride that is MS...lots of ups and downs.

Overall, it was a decent Summer. I still enjoyed quite a bit of fun and we received a few blessings as well. I am VERY much looking forward to the remainder of Fall and my favorite holiday, Halloween! I see some serious fun on the horizon.

0 comments: