Thursday, February 14, 2008

I've Got Your Cupcakes Right Here!

My husband and I don't give gifts for Valentines Day. Or at least, not 'gifts' in the traditional sense. It pushes us to be more creative and we typically have a lot more fun at a significantly less cost.

The past several Valentines were spent having a floor picnic in the living room. A homemade pizza, a bottle of red wine and a cartoons. Yes, cartoons! Pink Panther, Loony Toons and Animainiacs have been the toons of choice. And they have been some of the funnest and most romantic of Valentines Days we've spent together. This year, I suspect, will be spent in a similar manner, with the exception of Doctor Who in place of the cartoons.

In an effort to mix things up, I decided to do something for my husband I don't typically do.

Bake.

I saw a recipe in a waiting room magazine for 'Red Velvet Sweetheart Cupcakes' and thought they looked fun. Consequently, I've spent all day in the kitchen:

The blood-red batter

Sampling....yep, it's good.

Fresh out of the oven.


Made-from-scratch buttercream frosting


Snoopy learned that if you get your face too close to the beaters, you get frosting splattered on your nose.

The frosted cupcakes. My frosting jobs tend to look like they've been done by a 5-year-old. Still, they taste pretty sweet!

Happy Valentines Day, Love!

1 comments:

peno said...

I appreciate the thought and the effort!