Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Brain Bunny


Last week I underwent my second MRI. As it has been a year since my official diagnosis and initiation of treatment, we wanted to see how/if the treatment was working and how my disease was progressing.

My last MRI, which was done back in December of 2006, showed a mass of lesions...over 26 spread throughout my brain and one on my spinal cord.

These lesions (also called plaques)
are patches of inflammation in the central nervous system in which nerve cells have been stripped of their myelin, an insulating fatty protein. These unprotected nerve cells, which are responsible for sending communication signals throughout the central nervous system and the rest of the body,do not function properly and it is these lesions that give rise to the symptoms of MS.

Think of myelin as the insulating cover surrounding the electrical wires of, say, your toaster or TV. MS is the naughty bunny rabbit who chews on your cords, exposing the wiring and next thing you know, your toast is burnt and you can only get the Spanish televisions channels. So with over 26 areas of damaged nerves, it was no wonder I was losing function and feeling like mad all over my body.

However, after a year of treatment, my MRI revealed a "significant reduction" in the number of active lesions. It appears the treatment is working so far. This was heartening to hear, as I was beginning to wonder if all the side effects and the cost of my medication were worth it. But the signs seem hopeful and I feel encouraged to continue my daily injections.

Anyway, what's a few thousand bucks and a bit of pain compared to the ability to walk on my own two feet, button my own shirt, wrap my hair in a scrunchie and blink my eyes. Having experienced the loss of all those things, I'd call that a fair trade. We'll, perhaps not fair. But I'll take it.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Darn! I wanted to be the one to nail Brain Bunny!.. Oh well.. :)