My chest feels very tight, like I'm being squeezed by a python from the inside and it sends pains and tingling down my arms. I can't breathe. My heart is racing. My face feels hot and flushed and I feel quite dizzy.
This is what's known as an immediate post-injection reaction or IPIR for short. Officially it's described as a short-term reaction—which may include chest tightness or pain, with a fluttery or rapid heartbeat, and trouble breathing—that can happen to anyone taking Copaxone (my disease-modifying MS drug). This type of reaction, occurring right after injecting, should go away in several minutes and not cause further problems.
That's officially. I would describe it as OMGWTF and the five longest and most ass-sucking minutes of your life. But I guess that wouldn't go over too well on the package insert.
In the nearly two years I've been injecting this medication, I've experienced three of these IPIRs, all within the last three months and the last two within the past two weeks (the most recent one being last night). Wow. Talk about a scare. Having read about IPIRs, I knew what was happening to me right away. I also knew that it should go away in a few minutes and that the best thing to do is just remain seated and calm until it passes. Yeah, right.
Given the frequency of these IPIRs I decided to call my doctor this morning. She suggested that I stop injecting for now and we'll reevaluate in about six weeks. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. In all honesty, I'm rather afraid of doing another injection. But at the same time, I am concerned about the possible consequences of halting the medication altogether. My last brain scan showed a significant improvement after a year on this drug and I fear that without it, the hustle of the holidays and my additional obligations both at work and at home could be sending me down the road to a relapse.
Still, I can't keep enduring these reactions and it is probably best to err on the side of caution and take a temporary break. I can reevaluate with my doctor after the first of the year. However this means I really need to start taking better care of myself and, with all of my additional obligations right now, this is sure to prove a challenge.
I love this time of year and the opportunities it brings to celebrate with friends and family. I may have to sit a few out this year, but I'll sure do my best.
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Do Not Pass Go. Do Not Collect $200.
Posted by Niki at 2:06 PM
Labels: injections, multiple sclerosis
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
How scary! You are so strong, dealing with MS and your daily injections. I really admire you!
You forgot BBQ on your OMGWTF. :) On a more serious note, that sucks. Strange that they'd recommend cold turkey rather than a decrease ... but I am unfamiliar with immuno-suppressant therapies. I know second-hand that you don't go cold turkey with brain chemical stuff like anti-depressants and mood stabilizers. Best of luck to you in getting through this.
Shawn...dang, I knew I forgot something! :)
Bekah...thank you. I don't feel very strong some days, but I have a truck load of support from friends (like you!) and family. They're the ones that keep me strong.
Post a Comment