Sunday, December 14, 2008

Holiday Fun In The Kitchen

I don't know about you, but nothing says Christmas to me like making festive holiday treats. Creativity, chocolate and making memories with friends...what could be more Christmas Spirit-y? Or messy? I love making a mess.

I was inspired by my new online love, Bakerella, to make these holiday themed cake balls. How fun are these? As far as I'm concerned, the funnest part of making holiday treats is decorating them. We had decorating gel, little candies and sprinkles galore. I even found edible markers. Genius.

And because Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without them, we even had these festive cow-shaped sprinkles! There was a cow in the manger or something, wasn't there?



Anyway, making the cake balls themselves was easy enough. It's basically a mix of crumbled up cake and frosting, rolled into balls. The unforseen challenge came when it was time to dip and decorate. It seemed relatively simple:
melt chocolate,
dip balls into chocolate,
apply decorations.

What could possibly go wrong?


Oh. Uhm.

Ka-blamo!

Obviously, there was a bit more to think about than we initially thought. We made the balls a bit too big, and with the added weight of the melted chocolate they were sliding right off the sticks. But, after some trial and error (and a lot of laughter!) we started getting the hang of it...

My sister Amy made this adorable Christmas mouse!
(Sadly, however, part of his head fell off. So she had to eat him. He was delicious.)

And I made this reindeer.


Remember that childhood game Cootie? This is our chocolate tribute to Cooties.


For a first attempt, I'd say not bad. A for effort, anyways. And we learned some things for next time. But most importantly, we had a complete blast!

Love you ladies!!

0 comments: