Sunday, September 21, 2008

Experiment: Blue Cupcakes

I'm currently in the process of planning a baby shower for my little sister. She'll be a first-time mommy and I'm really honored and excited to throw this shower! It's also another excuse for me to get in the kitchen and bake some cupcakes! I love to bake cupcakes.

Since she's having a boy, I thought blue cupcakes could be a fun idea. So I did a little experimenting today...


I love how the blue food coloring makes a swirly pattern while being mixed into the batter. At this point, I thought it was looking kinda cool.


Here are the cupcakes fresh out of the oven. Hmm. Doesn't look so much blue, more like mold. Yeah. These look like moldy cupcakes. Perhaps they'll look better once they're frosted.


Nope, they sure don't. They look like moldy cupcakes with white mold on top. They still taste great, but if I hadn't made them myself I don't think I would be so keen on eating one.

Okay, so lesson learned....blue does not translate well to cake. I think I'd be better trying white cake and blue frosting or maybe just some blue sprinkles. Nick made a good point, however...these grotesque-looking cupcakes could be fun for Halloween!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to say grey looking....but moldy kinda sums it up too. I will ask my baking wiz of a sis-in-law if she has any ideas.

Unknown said...

I think the secret with blue, and perhaps a few other colors, is to go vivid.

Bekah said...

You might need to use more blue food coloring, almost to the point of overkill. :)