Tuesday, September 9, 2008

State Fair 2008

We took a jaunt over to the Utah State Fair tonight. We hadn't been for years...it's sure a lot more commercial than I remember. More vendors and less entertainment. Kinda lame. Though we did get some Dippin' Dots. I loves me some Dippin' Dots.


Our main interest was in the photography exhibit. I had entered three photos for judging in the "amateur" class, my first time submitting any of my photographs into a competitive environment. I was banking on this being a good learning experience and was interested in observing the other works submitted.

Much to my surprise, I received a Fourth Place ribbon for this photograph. This is one of my favorite and most treasured images, as this typewriter belonged to my grandfather. Typewriters were his passion and this machine, circa 1934, is the only relic I have of him. I find it very interesting that this image was chosen for a ribbon, and am also very gratified. My grandfather always reminded and encouraged us to follow our passions. I know he's smiling about this.


So I realize fourth place isn't magnificent, but I placed and for a first-time that's not too shabby. I definitely learned a lot from the experience, and the lessons learned are much more valuable to me than the ribbon. Still, it's something to smile about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That really is too awesome!! Good job. I love the photo. And it was really brave of you to enter it. I think I'd be too afraid of public scrutiny to do the same. Granted, you're a better photographer than I am. Congrats!

Bekah said...

congratulations!! I love me some dippin' dots too.