Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Vermont - Day Five: Reflections

We spent our last morning in St. Albans having a wonderful breakfast with Violet, Dan and Marie. Scrambled eggs and ham, fresh apples and berries and something called Breakfast Bread by Pepperidge Farms. I've never seen this bread back home, but it is absolutely delightful. We enjoyed a cinnamon apple variety...toasted with some melted butter. Lovely.

I've been noticing the great care that these folks put into setting the table. The forks, spoons and knives are always out and arranged in the proper manner. There are virtually no cartons or packages on the table...the sugar is in the sugar bowl, the cream in the creamer, the coffee in it's carafe. A place for everything and everything in it's place. For every meal. I think they do this, not to impress, but because this is how it's always been done. The art of setting a welcoming family table is a lost one, going the way of the Dodo along with the family meal. And I have to say, that these small efforts and details really do go a long way in creating a delightful setting to gather around as a family.

After breakfast, Dan shared with us his experience in the military during World War II. He regaled us with tales for at least an hour and we looked through old photo albums. It was a really pleasant way to end our visit.

It was hard to leave today. This trip has turned out to be much more than we ever expected, and I am leaving with a whole new clarity and with a sense of contentment and optimism. I can't wait until the next visit, but until then we will take advantage of technology to keep us in touch.


Dan, Violet, Marie, Jack, Pam, Brian, Kristin, Mike and Chris,

Thank you all for your enormous generosity and hospitality and for making us feel so very loved and welcome.

1 comments:

Savascha said...

I honestly don't know if I can remember the last time I've seen you look so happy, so content. What a wonderful experience for you! I can't wait to see you so you can tell me all about it!