Saturday, June 7, 2008

Arthritis Walk 2008



The 2008 Arthritis Walk to benefit the Arthritis Foundation kicked off at Wheeler Historic Farm this morning. Despite the unseasonal chill, there was a great turn out and over $16,000 raised to benefit arthritis support programs and research! Thanks to Nick, Lissa and Angie for their support and sponsorship of my walk today!

I walked in support of my dear friend Mindy, who is affected by rheumatic arthritis. Up until I decided to take part in this event, I didn't know much about arthritis. I knew it caused inflammation and pain in the joints, but all those Aleve commercials lead me to believe that it was relatively minor and a few OTC pain pills could get you back on the go. Not quite, it seems. In addition to affecting joints, it can also affect internal organs, skin and the eyes and is the number one cause if disability in America. What's more is that of the 46 million Americans living with arthritis, an estimated 294,000 (that's 1 in every 250) are children. It's been quite eye-opening.

Mr. Burns joined Mindy and me for our mile walk today, as did dozens of other awesome pups, and he even made some new friends. Check out this trifecta of sniffing and the delectable schnoz action on this mini Spuds McKenzie pup.






And take a gander at this little dude, named Bandit, who is missing his rear left leg. It's obvious, however, that hasn't slowed him down one bit. He's loaded with spunk and attitude and was enthusiastically dragging his owner all over the trails.


The walk through the grounds was very enjoyable. It's been years since I've visited Wheeler Farm and I'd forgotten how lush and beautiful it is. Our mile walk probably took twice as long as usual, because we were stopping along the way to take pictures of the landscape and some of the animals.


Little Cottonwood Creek























Moo.











Whoa, huge cock!









It was a fun day spent with a good friend for a good cause. I really learned a lot and gained a whole new perspective.

1 comments:

Savascha said...

I looooooooooooove you! And Burnsy says "Niki, come, let me scratch your legs with great abandon".