
It's projected that Nick will remain in the hospital for about a week. As such, so am I; I just can't bear to leave him alone here. It's a really nice hospital, great room and the staff has been wonderful. But it's still a hospital and I don't think anyone would wish to be left alone. Also, no one here knows anything about Hemophilia and none of the staff know how to mix the medication that needs to be given every 12 hours.
So here we are. We're in a private room, which is an unexpected surprise, and we have a tv with a DVD player and a Wi-Fi connection. There is also couch thingy that folds out into a bed. It's not really comfortable, but it's a place to sleep and it's better than the floor (which I would have slept on if I had to, but I'm glad I don't).
I'm indescribably tired. And sore. Having been up on my feet a lot and getting virtually no sleep on this crappy bed is definitely taking a toll. Still, I can't complain. Between the pain and the round-the-clock hourly visits from the nurses, Nick isn't doing much better in the sleep department.
He's also started on a CPM machine today, which adds to his discomfort but is important to his recovery. The physical therapist has also had him out of bed briefly and he did a bit of walking with the aid of a walker. He hates this. And I honestly don't blame him. It's painful and difficult and just...just shitty. But "it has to hurt if it's to heal" and it's all a part of the recovery process. The pain and challenges now should mean much less pain and fewer challenges in the future.
We've had some visitors today, which was quite nice. It really broke up the monotony. Nick's guy friends are completely adorable. They think the new knee is totally cool (made of cobalt chromium!) and they all have to make the Million Dollar Man sound and walk in slow motion when they talk about it. It amuses me so.
And actually the knee really is cool. The surgeon was in to see Nick today and he brought us some pictures of it. I'll post them as soon as I can.
Two days down. We'll muddle through this. Thank you to everyone who has been checking in on us and sending us good thoughts and prayers. It really makes a difference.
For now, I'm gonna try this sleep thing again.
Friday, November 7, 2008
About Hospitals
Posted by Niki at 3:18 PM
Labels: husband, knee surgery
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Would a pink girly nintendo DS help you guys pass some time? I know it helps put me to sleep. I would love to come visit. Are you at Jordan Valley?
I can't wait to see the "refer" art
Nick, You rock man... I hope all is well with your knee.
Post a Comment