First, I just have to say that I can not stop looking at my previous post. I know I'm really screwing up my blog counts, but I can't help myself. He's just too wonderful.
We've been home from the hospital for two days and I'm pleased to report we're both doing much better. I don't think I've ever appreciated my own bed so much as I did Wednesday night. After six nights on what I can only describe as a pile of bricks covered in upholstery fabric, the very sight of our bed nearly brought tears of joy to my eyes. Then I made out with my pillow.
I fully attribute Nick's improvement to being in the comfort of home. The pain is under control and he is able to adequately get around the main level of the house (with the aid of a walker) for his basic needs. He was even able to have a shower today, and there's nothing like a real shower to make one feel human again.
Most importantly, he is finally able to get some real rest.
The swelling is noticeably down, which is one of our main goals right now. His leg is still in the immobilizer brace and he has to wear a thigh-high compression sock, both of which are not super comfortable. But they're a necessary evil for the time being.
We were also given a cryotherapy ice machine, which is a real work of genius. It's basically a
cooler, which we fill with ice and some water. Then a filter pumps the ice water through some tubing and into an ice pack specifically shaped for the knee, keeping it constantly cold. Since the knee needs to be constantly iced, this machine is quite convenient. We just have to refresh the ice in the cooler every 6 hours or so.
So things are looking up and we're both relieved to be passed the worst of it. Thanks again to all who are checking in and thinking about us. We really appreciate all of you.
Friday, November 14, 2008
Home Sweet Home
Posted by Niki at 9:56 PM
Labels: home, husband, knee surgery
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment